Kari11 ch 2

Disclaimer: does not own digimon, bandai, disney, & toei do

Digimon: Darkness Returns

Jonni Takeuchi typed madly away at the computer.  On the screen, a box popped up, demanding a password.  He sat back, deep in thought.  
After a moment he typed in APPOCALYPSE.  Suddenly a whole screen appeared.  Finally, he had hacked into the file he was looking for.  
Right before his eyes was a file confirming the existence of digital monsters, or Digimon.  Jonni had known it all along.  His older sister (only by a year) 
Yuki was always calling him a nerd, or dork, or freak.  But he was right.  According to the file that he had found, Digimon, the hit TV show, had been real all 
along, known only by government officials and a few others. 
 
There was a link on the side of the page.  It read, Create.  Jonni grinned, perfect.  He clicked on it and it brought him straight to another password block.  
He hurriedly typed in something.  Incorrect, the red words blared at him mockingly, please try again.  He growled and tried again a few more times.  None were correct.  
Finally his fingers slammed into the keys as he wrote the word NURSERY.     Access granted it blinked in green.  Jonni had no idea where he had come up with that.  
It was like a little voice had whispered it in his ear.  Another screen popped up, asking for information.  He thought about creating one from the show, but decided instead 
to make his own.  For baby level, he wrote in the name, Maromon.  This is going to be great.

Next door a few days later, Jonni’s sister, Yuki, and one of her best friends, Sakura Kano, sat on Sakura’s bed, listening to music.  Yuki was slender, with blue hair above 
her shoulders which was only occasionally brushed.  She was wearing a black belly shirt and hole-filled jeans.  Sakura was taller, with ebony hair down to her elbows.  She wore 
a blue tee shirt and black track pants. 

  Yuki pushed her long blue bangs out of her eyes and said, “Guess what nerdy thing my brother thinks now?”
     “What?” Sakura asked, pushing her favorite headband, which was black with Oriental-style flowers like you might see on a kimono, over her hair.
      “He thinks Digimon are real.”
  “Oh?” said Sakura, trying to be fair.  “Did he say it in those exact words?”
     Yuki rolled her eyes.  “Is ‘I’ll show you Digimon are real Yuki, you wait and see’ exact enough?”
  “Yeah, it sounds like Jonni’s a chip off the old block on the fruitier than a fruitcake scale,” Sakura grinned mischievously at her odd, tomboyish friend.
  “Hey,” said Yuki, hitting her with a pillow, “I resent that remark!”
     “And you represent it, too,” added Sakura, grabbing her own pillow.
  “I may be weird, but I’m not that weird,” pouted Yuki.
  Sakura chuckled.  “How about the year you thought potatoes were aliens and could talk?”
  “Okay, I may see your point, but vegetables should not grow fur!”
     They burst out laughing in unison.  Wiping tears off her face, Sakura asked, “So he thinks Digimon are actually real?  I mean, I know he’s weird, but at eleven 
years old, he should know better.”
  Yuki shrugged.  “Despite the dyslexia thing, Jonni’s usually a pretty smart kid.  I mean, he built his own website.  Which, I might add, has some pretty cool features.  
And at computer camp the 
teachers said he was one of the brightest there, and that he made the most progressive video game.  Our parents were so happy they bought him a computer for his room.  
And it has internet access!  
Which is so totally not fair, considering all I got for winning an art award was an easel and some pencils!”
  “Plus,” she continued in more subdued tones, “I saw the weirdest thing when I was using it without his permission.”  Seeing the look on her friend’s face, she said, 
“Hey, the guy uses my shaving cream to wash his hair, give me a break.  Anyway, I saw the weirdest thing.  There was an egg.”
     Sakura looked skeptical.  “He had an egg sitting on his computer.”
  Yuki sighed.  “No, it wasn’t the omelet kind, and it was not on his computer, but in it.  It was like a giant Easter egg.  It had these black wavy lines over a green background.  
I asked him about it, saying I had come to look for a stuffed animal I thought I had left there-yeah right-and he got all huffy and rudely told me to buzz off.  I think he almost cried.  
But ever since then he’s had a superior look on his face.  It’s really annoying.”  She looked thoughtful.  “I could show you.”
  Sakura, who usually hated doing things like going through people’s items, bit her lip.  But the pull of mystery was too strong.  “Okay, but he probably just downloaded it as a screensaver or something.”
     “Alright!”  Yuki pumped a fist in the air.

  A few minutes later they quietly crept into his room, trying to shuffle his stuff out of the way with their feet.  Yuki plopped down on the computer chair.  “Good thing he’s over at Benjy’s right now,” she said, 
referring to hers and Jonni’s friends, Benjamin, or Benjy for short.
     Sakura concurred as Yuki turned the computer on.  Slowly a desktop came into view.  Yuki hooked them up to the internet and looked through Jonni’s favorite list.  Finally she came across a file entitled Maromon.  
“This looks promising,” she muttered.
  She clicked on it and the first thing to come up was a government file.  She and Sakura read it, Sakura first to gasp because she was a faster reader.  “This has got to be some kind of joke, or fan site, or something.  
Hey, click on Create.  It looks cool.”  She crouched down to see the screen.  “’To understand the Digital Monsters better, we have sent agents, via the computer, into the Digital realm.  Please create your own Digital 
Monster to ensure your protection.  Enter information below.  Partner Digital Monster shall accommodate your wishes.”
  “They said please,” Yuki grinned, and started to type.  “Hmmn, name… Bukamon, it’ll be 4.0 gigamahoosits, my only choice of attack is Bubble Blow, let’s see… okay, now it’s your turn.”  She entered it in and gave her seat to Sakura.
  “Ummn, name is Kuamon, 4.5 thingies, and of course Bubble Blow.  Enter,” she clicked on the button and a new screen appeared showing two Easter-like eggs, one light blue with silver dots and snowflakes, the other black with 
horizontal gold stripes and stars.
     “Cool,” they breathed.
  Information appeared, what Yuki had entered under the light blue and silver one, what Sakura had written under the gold and black one.  “That’s mine!” squealed Yuki, pointing at the screen.  
     “And that’s mine!” squealed Sakura in return. 
  Suddenly a mechanic voice spoke up, “Digital Partners will arrive in 10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3”
  A golden light erupted from the computer monitor.”…2…”
  All electrical items except for the computer went haywire.  Lights turned on and off, the smoke detector wailed, the TV channel surfed on its own, and alarm clocks beeped.  The girls clapped their hands over their ears.  
     “1!”
          The screen became distorted as an ovular shape emerged from it, followed by a second one.  One landed in each girl’s lap.  Then there was silence.  Sitting on their laps were real Digi-Eggs, the same ones that had been 
on the monitor a minute ago.  The screen was blank.